They say a photo is worth a thousand words. Therefore, while you’re traveling in a new place, it is customary to take photographs and videos along the way. Visual imagery can capture time and [...]
BCA’s summer study abroad program in Spain is in the beautiful city of Valladolid, the former capital city of Spain. Located on the Castilian meseta with a population of 400,000, Valladolid is a vibrant and artsy city perfect for students to soak in a summer of Spanish culture. The region is also known worldwide for producing the best wines in Spain. The program offers a variety of summer programs, including a 4-week June and a 6-week June and July option, giving you the flexibility to find the program that fits your schedule.
- Learn Spanish — beginning level or advanced level during the summer.
- Live with a host family and immerse yourself in Spanish life and culture.
- Study business, education, medical Spanish, art history, literature or Spanish language and culture.
- Business and Medical Spanish courses include practicums which offer a great opportunity to interact with local practitioners.
- Rich in artistic and historic heritage, the city is ideally suited as a center for studying the language and culture of Spain. Valladolid is known as the area where the purest “Castellano” form of Spanish is spoken.
- Enjoy plenty of recreational and cultural activities, including ceramics workshops, live theater, regional dance, concerts, and various other performances.
- Experience the region of Castilla y Leon and its mountains, open countryside and proximity to the Cantabrian Sea just three hours away. And Valladolid is approximately one hour by train from Madrid and within easy access of other important cities of the region such as Burgos, Leon, Salamanca, Zamora and Segovia.
Language of Instruction: Spanish
GPA Requirement: 2.5 or higher
Housing: Host Family
Credits Earned: Varies by Program
ACCOMMODATIONS & TRANSPORTATION
Experience Spanish life by living with a Spanish family! The families are carefully selected and evaluated to ensure each student is given the opportunity to experience complete immersion within the Spanish language, culture, and traditional social environment of Valladolid. Your meals will be provided by your host family, so you also have a chance to experience Spanish culinary traditions. Local transportation includes RENFE (national train system), buses and Eurorail (for traveling throughout Europe).
You will participate in excursions to new environments, visiting historic sites and famous landmarks designed to enhance and deepen your understanding of Spanish life, history and culture. One excursion per course is organized for the June Spanish Language & Culture Programs. Two excursions are organized for the 6-week Intensive Spanish Language & Culture Program. Excursions are typically day trips to regional locations.
HOCES DEL RIO
HOCES DEL RIO
Hoces Del Rio Duration (a natural park with hiking)
Each program has unique requirements. Students need to have one semester of college-level Spanish (or equivalent) for courses taught at the beginner level. Four semester of college-level Spanish (or equivalent) are required for students enrolled in advanced coursework.
In the summer Valladolid program, you will study at Universitas Castellae, a private institution, dedicated to the investigation and specialization in teaching the Spanish language to university students of other countries. Universitas offers a team of highly qualified professors and researchers in the field of Hispanic studies, from both foreign and Spanish universities. The summer program is designed as an intensive language and cultural immersion program.
VALLADOLID RESIDENT DIRECTOR: SERGIO VILLA DE CASTRO
Valladolid is a city with a thrilling past and an exciting future. Valladolid’s streets are full of history that can be felt, not only in the buildings, but also in the customs that are observed in the city’s pride in its past, and in its sparkling vitality. By engaging with Spanish students and locals, you will get to know the exciting world of Valladolid with its unforgettable cafes, theaters, civic and sports centers, as well as witness diverse cultural activities.
DATES & FEES
BCA offers a wide variety of services and activities as part of our comprehensive fee, including:
- Homestay accommodation with all meals
- City tour
- Museum visit and other educational activities
- International medical insurance and emergency evacuation services
- Academic transcript
- Pre-departure orientation and services
- On-site Resident Director
Other costs not covered by BCA fee (estimates only):
- Airfare: $1200 – 1500
- Passport: $110
- Additional personal expenses: $200 – 300
Upon acceptance into a BCA program, you will be billed a $250 confirmation deposit through the online system for accepted students. This deposit is non-refundable and reserves your place in the program.
Financing Study Abroad
BCA works closely with more than 100 colleges and universities, so we may already know your school’s financial procedure. Please feel free to address financial questions to BCA’s Chief Financial Officer at Finance@BCAStudyAbroad.org or 717-361-6602.
Fees billed to students directly are due prior to departure. If you must defer payment until financial aid disbursement, please contact Finance@BCAStudyAbroad.org. You can pay by personal check, money order or cashier’s check. Please send all payments to:
BCA Study Abroad
50 Alpha Drive
Elizabethtown, PA 17022
BCA charges an administrative fee of $20 for any returned check. We will not release your academic transcripts until all fees (including any additional charges for damages or obligations to the overseas university) are paid in full.
This program requires a minimum number of students in order to operate. If this minimum number of students is not met by the program’s application deadline, you will be notified and a full refund of the application fee will be issued within 5 business days.
|Summer Program||March 15|
Dates are tentative and subject to change.
Prices subject to change without notice.
|2019 June (4-weeks)||$3,675.00|
|2019 Intensive (6-weeks)||$4,650.00|
Policies regarding financial aid and additional study abroad fees vary by campus, so we recommend that you get in touch with your study abroad advisor or financial aid office to determine your school’s financial aid policies for study abroad.
All independent travel expenses are incurred by the student and are not included in estimated personal expenses.