Deciding why to study abroad is a big decision. We understand that traveling and living overseas can be a daunting thought and it may be hard to leave your normal routine, as well as family and friends. But when else in your life will you have the opportunity to study and live in a foreign country for months?
While spending some time studying overseas isn’t for everyone, students who are open to the idea can reap many long-lasting rewards. Here are just a few benefits of studying abroad:
- Experience new and different cultures. Living in one region or even the same country for your entire life can provide a limited view of the world. Studying abroad enables you to become immersed in a new culture, giving you a fresh outlook on how other people live, interact and think. You’ll gain a better appreciation and understanding of the world and people in general.
- Develop your language skills. As the process of globalization continues to evolve, the need to master more than one language is becoming a necessity. Spending time studying abroad allows you to practice and perfect your foreign language skills via speaking, reading and writing.
- Engage in stimulating academics. Many study abroad programs are likely to offer classes not included in your home university’s curriculum. This can result in a stimulating educational experience that brings a fresh perspective to your current field of study.
- Enhance your knowledge. One of the more intriguing study abroad facts is that your experience can expand your mind and improve your work ethic. Research indicates that students who study overseas often develop enhanced creative and complex thinking capabilities. They often increased their grade point average upon their return, as well.
- Boost your career. As more companies are entering the global marketplace, there is an increasing need for individuals who have a sound knowledge of foreign cultures and business practices. By studying abroad, you’re telling employers that you’re willing to push yourself outside your comfortable level and adapt to new situations. It says you’re independent, ambitious, flexible, and confident. Therefore, deciding to study abroad may give you a distinct advantage when applying for a job in competitive markets.
- Aid important causes. Mission-based study abroad programs such as those offered by BCA Study Abroad allow you to focus on important concepts such as peace and social justice. Depending on which program you choose, you’ll have the opportunity to participate in internships, volunteer work, student teaching and other activities that are very valuable and helpful to the local community at your program site.
If you’re ready to learn more about the once-in-a-lifetime experience that studying abroad can offer, contact BCA today!