They say a photo is worth a thousand words. Therefore, while you’re traveling in a new place, it is customary to take photographs and videos along the way. Visual imagery can capture time and [...]
ST. AUGUSTINE, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
A wonderful opportunity awaits you at the University of the West Indies St. Augustine campus in the twin islands of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Explore diverse course options in a relaxed environment, while connecting to Trinidad’s creative, globally-minded communities. All of this and more while living and learning among Trinidad’s diverse populations, in an environment of lush greenery, surrounded by sceneries of colorful flora and fauna and summer weather.
WHY ST. AUGUSTINE
- Live in a vibrant multi-ethnic society that actively celebrates its diversity.
- Discover the birthplace of calypso music as well as the steel pan.
- Enjoy the largest Caribbean carnival, which showcases the country’s creativity and talent as participants wear extravagant costumes and dance in the streets for hours.
- Easily access the beaches and coral reefs of Tobago via the nearby city of Port of Spain. Tobago is an oasis of serenity with lovely beaches, coral reefs, and colorful fish.
Language of Instruction: English
GPA Requirement: 3.0 or higher
Housing: University Housing
Volunteering: Opportunities Available
Live with local and Caribbean students in on-campus dormitories (both single sex and mixed-gender) There are individual and shared rooms, and every few rooms share a communal kitchen and common room. UWI’s residence halls have strong student engagement and there are lots of opportunities to participate in hall-wide events.
Designed to enrich your understanding of local life and culture, BCA excursions are unique to each program and offer you exciting learning experiences you couldn’t get on your own. All costs are included in the program fee. Excursion destinations are likely to change from year to year, however, students typically visit a combination of the following:
Explore Trindiad’s amazing waterfalls and enjoy the island cuisine
Visit a sea turtle conservation organization and watch hundreds of scarlet ibis’ roost in Caroni Swamp
Cultural Experience (Wild Fowl Trust, Debe, Harris Promenade & Anaparima Hill)
Tobago Day Trip – Argyle Waterfall, Buccoo Reef & Pigeon Point
As a student in BCA’s Trinidad study abroad program, you will study alongside Trinidadian and other international students in courses at the University of the West Indies St. Augustine, Trinidad.
With its focus on research and innovation, The University of the West Indies offers seven faculties and a cosmopolitan campus community that is an innovative, internationally competitive and deeply rooted in the Caribbean. Modern teaching and learning centers provide a wide range of extra-curricular activities and a deep commitment to preserving Caribbean integration and culture that make St. Augustine an ideal choice for higher education. As a BCA student, you will have the opportunity to study, live and fully participate in campus life at UWI’s beautiful St. Augustine campus. The UWI offers more than 300 accredited programs across 24 schools, centers and institutes.
Click the Academics button to learn more about: Popular Departments, Terminology, Pre-Requisites, Teaching Styles, Assessments, Credits, and Course Registration
- Choose from courses within a wide range of majors in departments of engineering, social sciences, humanities and education, food and agriculture, science and technology, law, and medical sciences.
- Take courses such as The History of Carnival in Trinidad which, together with courses in the Department of Festival Studies, gives hands-on experience of every aspect of Carnival (Spring semester is Carnival time in Trinidad).
- Study in one of the most important university systems in the English-speaking Caribbean, University of West Indies (UWI) has produced 18 heads of state, three Nobel Prize winners, and over 60 Rhodes scholars.
- Live in an internationally-recognized bird and turtle watching mecca and hiking past beautiful beaches, waterfalls and rivers.
- Join the UWI Hiking Club to experience the natural beauty of Trinidad –one of many student clubs on campus.
- Stay active with the UWI Sport and Physical Education Centre (SPEC) which offers sports programs in football, cricket, badminton, hockey, aerobics, volleyball, basketball and taekwondo and more.
Get involved with the local community through on-campus clubs or through local organizations focused on environmental conservation, human rights, and the arts. Trinidad and Tobago have lots of opportunities to partner with local community groups!
ST. AUGUSTINE RESIDENT DIRECTOR: GAIL MOHAMMED
I was born and raised in Trinidad and received my B.A. Arts and General Studies with a major in Sociology from UWI. Like you, I love to travel and experience different cultures. I really hope that you take advantage of this opportunity to join the BCA study Abroad program in Trinidad and Tobago, where you can experience peace, harmony, creativity and the opportunity to enhance your social and interpersonal relations and critical and creative thinking skills. And like the symbolic Pelican, represented on the University of the West Indies’ coat of arms, you will spread your wings wide, and soar, well prepared, to take your flight into the global workplace and society.
On-site support staff help you adjust to life in your new community and will be your cultural guide through the program.
DATES & FEES
BCA Study Abroad offers a wide variety of services and activities as part of our comprehensive fee, including:
- Full-time Tuition & Fees
- University housing
- Medical and emergency insurance
- Educational excursions
- On-site resident director
- Volunteer and internship opportunities
- On-site group activities
- Seminars and guest lectures
- University services
- BCA courses taught by host institution’s professors and/or resident directors
- Cultural and university orientation
- Intensive language training
- Academic advising
- University official transcript
- Pre-departure orientation
- Airport pickup
- On-campus internet access
The comprehensive fees for the academic year are listed below. Please keep in mind that every school has a different financial policy for study abroad. Your university may pay BCA for all fees listed below, they may only pay for tuition while you pay BCA directly for housing, or they may require you to pay BCA directly for tuition and housing. It’s important that you talk to your study abroad advisor and financial aid office to learn your school’s approach to financing BCA’s program and what your financial responsibility will be.
|Fall Semester||May 1|
|Spring Semester||October 1|
|Fall Semester||Late August to Mid-December|
|Spring Semester||Mid-January to Mid-May|
BCA strives to make studying abroad transparent and affordable for all students. The following budget sheet outlines program costs, as well as estimated additional expenses associated with your participation.
Price subject to change without notice. All independent travel expenses are incurred by the student and are not included in estimated personal expenses.