They say a photo is worth a thousand words. Therefore, while you’re traveling in a new place, it is customary to take photographs and videos along the way. Visual imagery can capture time and [...]
Barcelona, the capital of Spain’s Catalonia region, is known for its amazing art and architecture, with Sagrada Família and other modernist landmarks designed by Antoni Gaudí throughout the city. With theaters, concerts, museums and festivals to attend, Barcelona visitors and residents have plenty to do in this exciting European city.
- Study alongside Spanish students at the Universitat de Barcelona, one of Europe’s most highly regarded universities.
- Choose from a large variety of courses taught in Spanish, as well as English-taught courses in business, economics, international relations, sociology and political science.
- Enjoy the hospitality of a host family.
- Volunteer as a student teacher, assisting with immigrant women and children, helping in an animal shelter or at the Barcelona artist workshop festival — there are many opportunities to work alongside the local community.
- Enjoy the amazing architecture, food and vibrant street life of Barcelona and its wide variety of cultural events.
- Experience the La Mercè Festival with street parades, firework displays, Sardana dancing, fire-breathing dragons during the fall semester.
Language of Instruction: Spanish & English
GPA Requirement: 2.6 or higher
Housing: Host Family
Volunteering: Opportunities Available
You will live with a host family while you live in Spain. BCA places one student per family to encourage cultural and language immersion. Host families play an integral role in helping students learn more about Barcelona, Spain, and the various aspects of Spanish culture. Students often point out living with their family as one of the highlights of the program. The location of the housing varies, with some families located near the campus and others a bit farther away. All students will have access to the subway or bus system for easy transportation to the university and around the city. Three daily meals will be provided by your host family. Alternatively, according to your schedule, families will provide you with a packed lunch to eat on campus.
Designed to enrich your understanding of local life and culture, BCA excursions are unique to each program and offer you exciting learning experiences you couldn’t get on your own. All costs are included in the program fee. Excursion destinations are likely to change from year to year, however, students typically visit a combination of the following:
A multi-day history and art excursion at the beginning of the semester is a distinctive feature of BCA Barcelona. Girona (medieval walls) – Figueres (birthplace of Salvador Dali).
As an integral part of classes, BCA organizes visits to relevant political or historical sites of the city. In the past, students have visited Barcelona City Hall, the History Museum of the City of Barcelona, and the Catalan Administration Palace, among others.
The Monastary of Poblet is a key historical site in Spain and is a UNESCO world heritage site.
As a BCA Barcelona student, you will study the Spanish language and enroll in a wide variety of courses at the Universitat de Barcelona (UB).
- Four semesters of college-level Spanish (or equivalent) is required to participate in this program.
All BCA students enroll in the three-week, pre-semester BCA Signature Course (Topics on Spanish Grammar and Culture/3 credits).
As a BCA Barcelona student, based on your language level you will enroll in courses either directly at the Universitat de Barcelona with Spanish students or in BCA Barcelona courses specifically for BCA students.
Originally founded in 1450, the Universitat de Barcelona is one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in Catalonia and one of the most prestigious in Europe. Despite its unique and often unsettled past, the Universitat de Barcelona has remained one of the most widely respected institutions of higher learning in the world. With 100 academic departments; 367 UB-specific master’s and postgraduate degree courses; 5,312 professors, lecturers and researchers; and a diverse student population exceeding 63,000, UB has much to offer from an academic, cultural and personal perspective.
Click the Academics button to learn more about: Courses, Popular Departments, Pre-Requisites, and Required Course
IMPROVE YOUR LANGUAGE SKILLS
A key benefit of our Universitat de Barcelona study abroad program is that it provides an ideal opportunity to practice and perfect your foreign language skills. The majority of courses are taught in Spanish. The remaining courses are taught in English or Catalan. Most BCA students take all of their courses in Spanish and some students take one or two courses in English. By constantly speaking, reading and writing Spanish, you will quickly develop your proficiency.
- There are approximately 63,000 students enrolled at Universitat de Barcelona
- Advanced language students can take UB courses alongside local students
- The University is a public institution of higher education in Catalonia
- Six campuses contain various departments, faculties and schools
- The University has a history dating back to 1402!
BCA encourages students to take advantage of learning opportunities both in and beyond the classroom! Our resident director has established partnerships with local organizations (agencies, non-profits and/or NGOs) where BCA students can complete volunteer experience complementing their academic study. Once you finalize your classes and semester’s activities, you can plan volunteer service possibilities. The Resident Director advises students regarding volunteer services according to their language skills and academic interests. Students are interviewed and ultimately must be accepted by the representatives of the institutions where the volunteer services are held.
BARCELONA RESIDENT DIRECTOR: DR. CARMEN BARBOSA
I am pleased that you are considering coming to Barcelona with the BCA Study Abroad program. I believe that this city is an ideal place to live and to study because of its beauty, diversity, history and all the socio-cultural opportunities it offers. BCA Barcelona is integrated in the Universitat de Barcelona, providing you with the possibility of carrying on your daily student life in one of Spain’s most prestigious universities.
DATES & FEES
BCA Study Abroad offers a wide variety of services and activities as part of our comprehensive fee, including:
- Full-time Tuition & Fees
- Host family
- Breakfast and dinner with host family
- Medical and emergency insurance
- Educational excursions
- On-site resident director
- Volunteer and internship opportunities
- On-site group activities
- Seminars and guest lectures
- University services
- BCA courses taught by host institution’s professors and/or resident directors
- Cultural and university orientation
- Intensive language training
- Academic advising
- University official transcript
- Pre-departure orientation
- Airport pickup
- On-campus internet access
The comprehensive fees for the academic year are listed below. Please keep in mind that every school has a different financial policy for study abroad. Your university may pay BCA for all fees listed below, they may only pay for tuition while you pay BCA directly for housing, or they may require you to pay BCA directly for tuition and housing. It’s important that you talk to your study abroad advisor and financial aid office to learn your school’s approach to financing BCA’s program and what your financial responsibility will be.
|Fall Semester||April 15|
|Spring Semester||October 1|
|Fall Semester||Late August to Mid-December|
|Spring Semester||Mid-January to Mid-May or Mid-June*|
|*depending on course selections|
BCA strives to make studying abroad transparent and affordable for all students. The following budget sheet outlines program costs, as well as estimated additional expenses associated with your participation.
Prices subject to change without notice. All independent travel expenses are incurred by the student and are not included in estimated personal expenses.