We encourage students to take advantage of learning opportunities both in and beyond the classroom! BCA’s resident director has established partnerships with local organizations (agencies, non-profits and/or NGOs) where BCA students can complete a volunteer experience complementing their academic study (though not for academic credit). The resident director can also work with the student to develop another unique opportunity if desired.
Here is a current list of volunteer opportunities available:
- Caritas: International charity linked with the Catholic church
- DIF: Working at the government shelter for male youth
- Habitat: For-profit enterprise dedicated toward researching environmental conditions and finding solutions to environmental problems. Project development.
- Language Institute: Coordinating conversation groups for university students learning English (and/or Japanese) as a second language.
- Instituto Municipal de La Mujer: An organization run by the city of Xalapa and dedicated to issues related to the female population of the city.
- MATRACA: Organization dedicated to children working and/or living on the streets.
- Spending time with youths who live on the street or children who work on the street.
- Help social workers visiting families with children in danger of or already living on the street.
- Help with projects for widening awareness of street children.
- Volunteering in the small school MATRACA runs for marginalized and impoverished children.
- Museo de Antropologia: A world-renowned museum dedicated to the archaeology of the state of Veracruz.
- Pronatura: NGO working with the local environment and especially with raptor populations in the area.
We are working to establish new volunteer opportunities all the time, so please let us know when completing your application if you are interested in volunteering while studying abroad. Once on site, your resident director will work with you to find a placement that fits your schedule and your goals, as well as the organization’s needs. Our hope is that your volunteering experience will be mutually beneficial for both you and the organization! BCA’s expectation is that students take their volunteering commitment seriously and demonstrate this by faithful attendance and communication with their organization.