BCA Xalapa Director, Dr. Rob Kruger, leads an exciting week-long excursion to Cuba during the Xalapa program. In the fall, the excursion runs at the end of the program, in December. In the spring, the program runs in late March.
Spend a week getting acquainted with Cuba through museums, a tour through the central island area of the Cuban countryside, with principal stops at: Santa Clara; Trinidad; Cienfuegos; Bahia de Cochinos (Bay of Pigs). You will stay with a Cuban family during your time in Havana, as well as take two meals a day with them (breakfast and dinner). An emphasis will be made on interactions with both your Cuban host families and with Cuban students you will meet during the course of the trip. This excursion is included in the program and program fee.
Other Xalapa Semester Excursions
BCA Xalapa offers approximately 12-15 days of educational excursions throughout the semester–daytrips, weekend trips and occasional longer excursions. Destinations vary from semester-to-semester and according to student interest. Again, all BCA excursions are included in the program fee.
BCA students typically enjoy the following:
- La Antigua
- Volcancillo (an extinct volcanic cráter and cave system not far from Xalapa)
- Cantona archaeological site
- El Lencero (1800s ex-hacienda)
- Chachalacas beach
- Conquest period sites: Villa Rica, Quiahuitztlan, Cempoala
- Mexico City (various destinations within and the city)
- The port city of Veracruz
- El Tajín and the Costa Esmeralda (beach)
- Ecotourism in the Tuxtlas Mountains
- Cuetzalan, Puebla
- Cofre de Perote and La Malinche mountains