Why should I volunteer while I’m studying abroad?
Donating your time to assist a local organization (agency, non-profit or NGO) while studying abroad can be a very rewarding experience that many of our students choose to pursue. BCA’s resident directors, in conjunction with BCA’s host universities, work to offer a diverse range of volunteer opportunities for you to consider at most of our program sites. You can view specific volunteer opportunities available by clicking on a program site on the right side of this page.
When you choose to volunteer as an international student, you will have the chance to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of the community around you, as well as yourself
- Immerse more fully in the culture
- Make a personal contribution to the world in a way that promotes social justice
- Enhance your resume
- Develop transferable skills and gain experience
- Try something new and challenging
- Follow your passions, hobbies, interests and/or develop new ones
*Volunteering is a non-credit bearing activity
We are working to establish new volunteer opportunities all the time, so please let us know when completing your application if you are interested in volunteering while studying abroad. Once on site, your resident director will work with you to find a placement that fits your schedule and your goals, as well as the organization’s needs. Our hope is that your volunteering experience will be mutually beneficial for both you and the organization! BCA’s expectation is that students take their volunteering commitment seriously and demonstrate this by faithful attendance and communication with their organization.