There are many outside organizations that offer grants and scholarships for study abroad students to help offset the cost of the program and travel. Below are a list of some of these scholarships and some search engines that you can use to identify additional scholarships for which you may be eligible to apply.
Other Available Study Abroad Grants and Scholarships
- Boren Scholarships: This scholarship allow U.S. undergraduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests but underrepresented in study abroad.
- Diversity Abroad Scholarships: These awards ensure that students from diverse economic, educational, ethnic and social backgrounds have equal access and take advantage of the benefits and opportunities afforded through global education exchanges.
- Fund for Education Abroad: FEA offers study abroad scholarships up to $10,000. Applicants from underrepresented groups in study abroad and those studying in non-traditional locations are given preference.
- Gilman Scholarship Program: This program aims to diversify the kinds of students who study and intern abroad and the countries and regions where they go by offering awards to U.S. undergraduates who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints. Visit the website for more information on eligibility, the application process and deadlines.
- Go Overseas Study Abroad Scholarship: GO Overseas supports international education through scholarships available to students participating in study abroad programs. Scholarships are awarded each year. The scholarship is awarded based on the creativity and analytical thinking displayed through writing samples and/or video submissions. The award for each scholarship is $500.
- LGBTQ Scholarships: To support LGBTQ students who are ready to take on the challenge of studying abroad, many organizations, institutions, and associations have established study abroad scholarships to specifically provide financial assistance to LGBTQ students.
- Freeman-Asia Awards: Through the generosity of the Freeman Foundation, students interested in our Dalian, China program now have the opportunity to apply for one of these financial awards and be awarded up to $5,000 for their semester abroad. BCA students can use their award money towards the cost of their airfare, living and local transportation costs, books, etc. Visit the website for more information on eligibility, the application process, and deadlines.
Dunedin, New Zealand
- New Zealand Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Awards: Education New Zealand Study Abroad Travel Awards (ENZTA) offer US$2,000 to help students fund their flight to New Zealand. Generation Study Abroad New Zealand Universities Excellence Awards (NZUEA) offer US$500 for study at one of the eight New Zealand universities, including the University of Otago!
- DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) grants for study and research in Germany are available to faculty and students from Canada and the United States. Scholars participate in a wide variety of academic activities to promote international academic relations and cooperation.
Scholarship Search Engines
- College Board general scholarship search engine: Free online scholarship database.
- GoAbroad.com offers a list of scholarships for study abroad.
- IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding: Free online database of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, and grants.
- Studyabroad.com offers a list of study abroad scholarships.