As a student of BCA’s Trinidad study abroad program, you will study alongside Trinidadian and other international students in courses at the University of the West Indies St. Augustine, Trinidad.
The link below will take you to the department listings for the University of the West Indies St. Augustine, Trinidad. To learn about potential course offerings in each department, visit the link for the relevant department and look at undergraduate degree courses. Typically, courses will be arranged into classes offered in semester 1 or semester 2, which correspond to our fall or spring semester respectively.
Please keep in mind that not all courses may not be offered when you are planning to study as course offerings frequently change. As you prepare for your semester abroad, BCA will help you to understand the courses that will be available and the course registration process.
- Arts & Humanities: African Studies, Asian Studies, Communications, Dance, Education, English, Film Studies & Production, History, Music, Philosophy, Speech, Visual Arts
- Business & Social Sciences: Accounting, Criminal Justice, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Sports Management
- Food & Agriculture: Agriculture, Agribusiness, Geography, Environment and Natural Resource Management, Human Nutrition, Human Ecology, Tropical Landscaping
- Pre-Professional Studies: Tourism Management
- Sciences: Alternative Energy, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Computational Mathematics, Environmental Sciences and Management, Information Technology, Medical Physics, Natural Products, Physics, Plant Microbiology
- Engineering: Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Industrial, Manufacturing, and Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, Petroleum Geoscience, Urban and Regional Planning
At the University of the West Indies St. Augustine the University is divided into faculties, or schools, by subject area. Each faculty then contains various departments
Some courses at the University of the West Indies St. Augustine have pre-requisites. If you are interested in taking a course with a pre-requisite you will need to be able to show via your transcript that you have taken the equivalent of that pre-requisite at your home school. Ultimately the faculty member for the course at the University of the West Indies St. Augustine will make the decision whether or not you have met the course pre-requisites based on your transcript.
The majority of courses are taught seminar and lecture style. Some courses, like laboratories, will encourage practical approaches and field work. Most courses come in combination with a tutorial, that students have to sign up for. These are meant for exercises or in-course work that have been assigned.
Most courses have essays and exams as the main type of assessment. It is possible that some courses use different forms of assessment, but it is not typical.
Credits/Number of Courses
You will take 4 or 5 courses per semester. Most courses are worth 3 U.S. credits. You cannot take more than 5 courses per semester.
After you are accepted into the program and have completed the paperwork for the University of the West Indies St. Augustine, you will be given special Course Registration Numbers (CRN) Codes with which you will then register for your approved courses. Registration only opens a week before semester start, so you will most likely register upon arrival. The Add/Drop period lasts 3-4 weeks into the beginning of the semester during which you can change their course registration without “repercussions”. Any changes made after the Add/Drop period will be marked on your transcript.